Monday, May 07, 2012

Console Table: Keep It or Ditch It?


Calling all of my design-y type friends and readers. I need your help. I've had this console table that lives behind the couch in the great room for about 20 years. It's pine, natural, and heavy, which I love. But it has got a Southwest style to it, which I can't stand. I've disguised it with table cloths of all types and currently have a table runner and some interesting objects on it so maybe people won't notice. Oh and don't look at the brown thing underneath. That's going as soon as I decide on 2 small stools to go underneath if I keep it. I want to keep it because of the material of it and I believe I can do something to it so it doesn't look Southwest. But what? Or should I just get rid of it and start over? Any ideas?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Is there a way to take the decorative underthing off? That's the only think making it Southwesty right?

Shari said...

Nope. I checked. It braces the whole table together.

Unknown said...

What about hiding it behind fake doors? You could completely change the appearance with them, making it fit with just about any decor.

Shari said...

That's an interesting idea. I was hoping to keep it open so I could fit a couple of stools underneath.

Beth @ Realist Mom said...

Could you sand the angular cut outs off? Make it more of a smooth arch - I agree with the above poster; that's what makes it Southwestern.

Shari said...

Another person recommended putting a flat, long piece of wood in front of it from end to end That way I would have minimal work. Those stair steps are what definitely makes it southwest and they need to be gone.