Thursday, February 11, 2010

Sewing Olympics


I opted to take a challenge. A challenge of Olympic proportions. Well, not really but for me to fit it into my crazy schedule, it's a challenge that's mighty huge. I am hoping to sew a dress during the Winter Olympics and have it finished by Closing Ceremonies. Luckily I got my new Janome sewing machine and my pattern comes from the book by Christine Haynes, Chic and Simple Sewing. So, I may have a bit of an advantage. I'm not an advanced sewer but more of a periodic mediocre sewer. Sewing was my favorite thing I learned in junior high home ec class. And that's the extent of it.  I made some simple skirts last summer and the most difficult project prior to that was 16 years ago when I sewed my daughter's crib bumpers, quilt, decorative pillows, curtains, tablecloth and room accessories for when she was born.

 
The dress I chose is called the "Opera Dress". It's difficult in the scale of simple to difficult in this book but it still means it's not too tough to do. There are no fasteners. The material is cotton. I wanted something silky but that 1. tends to be tougher to manage and 2. I couldn't find any I liked in the stores I went to. I love this floral print I think it will make a nice summery dress that I could wear. Who says it has to be dressy. Maybe if this one turns out I'll find a silky fabric for another one. I do that.
So I will post my progress as I go along. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Valerie said...

Yay! I'm so glad you're joining up! Also, that is really pretty fabric. I've been meaning to pick up that book, let me know if the patterns are easy to follow.

Good luck & see you on the other side!

Anonymous said...

That's gonna be cute!!