Recently I ate a Scotch egg at a local restaurant and thought it was interesting, but a bit bland. That one must have been made with simply ground turkey. That got me thinking. I did some research and found that Scotch eggs are typically deep fried and made with sausage and other spices. I chose to modify that recipe because I don't really like sausage and I thought baking would be a healthier idea. So I opted for ground pork and ground turkey in this recipe. With some added spices, it should tast awesome.
Scotch Egg Recipe:
1 lb ground pork
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sage
1/2 teaspoon thyme
6 hard boiled eggs- peeled
2 eggs beaten
olive oil spray
- Mix the meat and seasonings in a large bowl and divide into 6 even amounts.
- Take a portion of the meat and roll into a ball. Insert the egg and surround the egg evenly with the meat.
- Dip each ball into beaten egg, covering well.
- Roll in bread crumbs and place on baking sheet sprayed with olive oil.
- Spray each ball lightly with olive oil.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 min turning once at 15 min until golden.