Friday, August 19, 2011

Scotch Eggs, My Version


Recently I ate a Scotch egg at a local restaurant and thought it was interesting, but a bit bland. That one must have been made with simply ground turkey. That got me thinking. I did some research and found that Scotch eggs are typically deep fried and made with sausage and other spices. I chose to modify that recipe because I don't really like sausage and I thought baking would be a healthier idea. So I opted for ground pork and ground turkey in this recipe. With some added spices, it should tast awesome.

Scotch Egg Recipe:

Ingredients:
1 lb ground pork
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sage
1/2 teaspoon thyme
6 hard boiled eggs- peeled
2 eggs beaten
breadcrumbs
olive oil spray

Directions:

  1. Mix the meat and seasonings in a large bowl and divide into 6 even amounts.
  2. Take a portion of the meat and roll into a ball. Insert the egg and surround the egg evenly with the meat.
  3. Dip each ball into beaten egg, covering well.
  4. Roll in bread crumbs and place on baking sheet sprayed with olive oil.
  5. Spray each ball lightly with olive oil.
  6. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 min turning once at 15 min until golden.





1 comment:

Julie@teachinggoodeaters said...

I'm always on the lookout for high protein breakfasts... this is a new one for me. I'm pinning it so I can give it a try!