Friday, April 22, 2011

Tutorial: A Upcycled Serving Tray for Earth Day

I recently purchased an unfinished wooden serving tray at The Salvation Army for 1.29 thinking that I could use it...somehow. Then on a recent shopping trip to Urban Outfitters, I saw a wall art piece by artist Sarah Ogren with a dog similar to my Foxy and the body of an old fashioned girl. It was in a thick wooden frame. Inspired by that piece, I set out to make something along that line for my home. I photo shopped a picture of Foxy onto a vintage photo of a child and colorized a bit of the photo the blue and green accent colors. I spray painted the serving tray satin black. I used scrapbooking paper and borders that I had laying around and Modge Podged it all down on the black tray with a wide sponge brush.  I used several light coats of Modge Podge so as not to get the paper too wet. After it was all dry, I sprayed it with a clear coat of lacquer. I love how it turned out. It's upcycled. It's personalized. It's original.

1 comment:

Sarah Ogren said...

I think you did a good job! :)