Thursday, October 27, 2011

The inspiration is in your bathroom: Holiday Wreath


I'm addicted to Pinterest these days and I especially love the DIY section.  I was inspired to save many toilet paper rolls because I wanted to make a holiday wreath inspired by the shape of a beautiful wreath on the now defunct, "See You There" blog. Directions on how to make it are very simple.  The best things about this project were 1. that it was recycling something I'd normally toss and 2. that it was practically free. I had the paint, the glue gun and the paper rolls. All I needed were the berries which I got 60% off at Michael's. So the whole thing cost about $2.


I saved about 15 toilet paper rolls and cut about 4 pieces per toilet paper roll. You may need less, you may want more depending on your design. Then I laid out the pieces around a salad plate for the roundness how I'd like the finished wreath to look. I used a combination of crimson red and bronze acrylic paint. I brushed it on cut up toilet paper roll pieces. Spray paint would have been easier, but it's not what I had on hand. So I painted the inside and outside of each piece with a wide brush. After they dried I used a glue gun to assemble the wreath parts. Last I glued on the berries. I'm pretty pleased with the final result. What do you think?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Who know toilet paper rolls could be so pretty? Great job!

Jessica Johnson said...

This is AMAZING!!! You did a really fabulous job making something super cute out of something not so super cute (TP rolls) LOVE it!

Thanks for linking up!!

mel @ the larson lingo said...

oh, I LOVE this!!! SO cute!! I now have a fun project to do over Thanksgiving break!

Anonymous said...

I love it!! I don't know how you came up with such an amazing idea. Being on an environmental commission, re-use is big on my list of things to help the Earth. This hits the spot. I'm going to make several to display at our Earth Day Celebration in April 2014. Thanks so much for the idea!

Anonymous said...

That idea really caught my eye. I am on the forth one being made, giving them to friends. It then came to mind that paper towels and the tubes from gift wrap also work for this craft, Just using different color of paint for the wreath can be used for one for Easter, valentines Day and all the rest of the holidays that you might want one for the wall décor.